Monday, January 23, 2006

Top 10 of Asian Movies in 2004

Top 10 of Asian Movies in 2004

Only Asian movies made in 2004 (although most of them were seen in 2005...). 2004 was a rich year, the best came probably from Japan and Tadanobu Asano was surely the best actor who played several films in 2004 (Survive Style 5+, The Taste of Tea, and Vital which I still haven't seen yet).
The list may change since I'm so indecisive with lists.
Movies of 2004 that I still haven't seen : A Letter from an Unknown Woman (Xu Jinglei) - seen in 2006, Kekexili: Mountain Patrol (Lu Chuan), seen in 2006, The Foliage (Lu Yue), Shanghai Story (Peng Xiaolian), Two Great Sheep (Liu Hao), Vital (Shinya Tsukamoto) - seen in 2006, One Night in Mongkok (Derek Yee) - seen in 2006, Shutter (Thailand) and more...
The 2005 list will come later...

10. Day and Night - Riri yeye - (Wang Chao, Mainland China).
09. 3-Iron - Bin-jip - (Kim Ki-duk, South Korea)
08. Kungfu Hustle - Gong fu (Stephen Chow, HK)
07. Nobody Knows - Dare mo shirana - (Hirokazu Koreeda, Japan)
06. Survive Style 5+ - (Gen Sekiguchi, Japan)
05. The World - Shijie - (Jia Zhangke, Mainland China)
04. Café Lumière - Kôhî jikô - (Hou Hsiao-hsien, Taiwan)
03. The Beautiful Washing Machine - Mei li de xi yi ji - (James Lee, Malaysia)
02. A Taste of Tea - Cha no aji - (Katsuhito Ishii, Japan)
01. Tropical Malady - Sud pralad - (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Thailand)

Other movies I liked and that are worth being mentioned (and from "big Asia") : Barbecue (Jun Geng, Mainland China), Passages (Yang Chao, Mainland China), Pirated Copy (He Jianjun, Mainland China), Schizo (Guka Omarova, Kazakhstan), Earth and Ashes (Atiq Rahimi, Afghanistan), Bitter Dreams (Moshen Amiryoussefi, Iran), 15 (Royston Tan, Singapore), Citizen Dog (Wisit Sasanatieng, Thailand), 2046 (WKW, HK), Howl's Moving Castle (Hayao Miyazaki, Japan), Cutie Honey (Hideaki Anno, Japan) ...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Mubarak Ali said...

Great list of films (from what I can tell). For a second I thought Tropical Malady was right at the bottom, but I'd agree with its #1 placement. :)

I haven't seen 3-iron, but I have seen Samaria from this year. It hasn't really improved with time, and I didn't really like Spring, Summer, Fall,..., so I don't know if I'm just not getting Kim Ki-duk.

January 26, 2006 10:38 am  
Blogger Ouyang Feng said...

I'm rather mixed with Kim Ki-duk. I didn't like Samaria and Spring, Summer, Fall. But 3-Iron is a bit different (I liked the silence, there is hardly any dialogue, and there isn't too much symbolism). I think you may like it. I saw his latest one, The Bow, and I disliked it, it's in the same vein than Spring, Summer Fall..., with too much symbolism, metaphors and too spiritual for me. The cinematography was great though.
I liked The Isle at the time I saw it, it was in fact the first Kim Ki-duk I saw when it got released. I don't know if I'd get the same reaction now if I watch it again.
2004 was a good year for Asian movies, but it seems that for 2005 it isn't the case. Also I saw more Korean movies, and I must admit I'm not as enthusiastic as most people are nowadays with Korean cinema than with Chinese, Japanese or even Thai cinema.

January 26, 2006 11:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home