Sunday, February 12, 2006

Notes on some Asian films

A few Asian movies seen lately...

I've been watching several films lately, just too lazy to write about them. Very brief thoughts of two Japanese movies:

Pastoral: To Die In the Country by Shuji Terayama (1974).
It's hard to describe the movie, but it's based upon his adolescence in a community in the countryside. It gives his interrogation between his work, autobiographical work, what's fictive, what's real and at the same time his relation with his youth and particularly with his mother. The movie itself delivers a succession of oniric, surrealist imagery, I particularly liked the circus scenes. Great images and compositions and nice use of colours.

Ecstasy of the Angels by Koji Wakamatsu (1972)
I felt a certain I really like especially for its content, much more political and engaged than Go Go second Time Virgin. The film deals with a group of radical anarchists "the soldiers of the 4 seasons" , in which each of one of them uses code names based on the days of the week or the names of the months. The October group was in charge to steal the US weaponery in order to commit terrorist acts. But the mission tuned out badly and since then the group takes distance from the organization. Shot in a contrasted black and white, there are some brief uses of colour every now and then, and the sexual and violent imagery is mixed with its political engagement .

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Mubarak Ali said...

I'm so envious, Ouyang. I've been longing to see both films for a while (or pretty much anything by either director). Just curious, but have they received French DVD releases, or were you lucky enough to catch them on the big screen?

February 21, 2006 10:53 am  
Blogger Ouyang Feng said...

Well, I've realized that I lost your email address, if you send it back to me, perhaps I can work out something. :)

February 22, 2006 4:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home