Saturday, November 04, 2006

Festival 3 Continents (bis)

Films I plan to see :
most of the competition (fiction and documentary), but for sure :
Falafel - Michel Kammoun - Lebanon
Mientras Tanto - Diego Lerman - Argentina
Opera Jawa - Garin Nugruho - Indonesia
Nacido y criado - Pablo Trapero - Argentina
Zhoshy - Daniyar Salamat - Kazakhstan
Betelnut - Yang Heng - China (already won great prize at Pusan in New Currents section)
Yellow Box – Ting Fu-huang - Taiwan
Stories from the north - Uruphong Raksasad - Thailand
Manoro - Dante Mendoza - Philippines

I will try to see some of the "Our year in film", but surely some will get released afterwards. Anyway those I will try to see at least :
The last communist - Amir Muhammad - Malaysia
Indio nacional - Raya Martin - Philippines

I will skip Satyajit Ray's retrospective and Continent B (apart perhaps Février - Yuthlert Sippapak - Thailand, I've already seen One nite in Mongkok)

Now the focus it's going hard to see all, so I will try to see the 2 Thai films of the 60s and 70s (
Prae Dum (Black Silk) and The angel), the 60s Korean film by Sin Sang-ok and the 80s ones, and I'm curious about the films from Saudi Arabia.

If I manage to see all this already, then I'll be happy. I will post comments (short) on each film I will see and on the festival in general.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Mubarak Ali said...

Hey, Marina! It's been a long time... Is this the festival that you helped programme the documentary line-up of?!

I'm very envious. There could be some interesting discoveries in there - looking forward to what you have to say about them (there's been lots of great reading at Chungking Express lately, by the way!).

I know the Satyajit Ray films are not high priority for you, but if you pick one, make it Days and Nights in the Forest, which is probably my favourite of all his films I've seen.

Bon festival!

November 06, 2006 12:12 pm  
Blogger Ouyang Feng said...

well, not really.

The line-up is appealing, I'm quite confident of the quality of the selection.
Many Southern Asian films this year, some have already been to other prestigious festivals such as The Last Communist, which premiered at the Berlin Film Festival in February (banned in Malaysia, here his blog: http://lastcommunist.blogspot.com/), or Opera Jawa, Indonesian film screened at Venice and Toronto)...
Of course, there is the new Tsai film, but I know it will be released afterwards. I will try to focus on the ones that are much harder to be seen since there is the opportunity to do so.

Actually I saw Satyajit Ray's Samapti last year at the festival, depending on the schedule, I will make try to see the one yuo recommended.

Thanks :)

November 07, 2006 12:24 pm  
Blogger HarryTuttle said...

Looks like a great selection indeed! These titles are new to me, are they world premiere? The F3C is high on discovering underexposed gems. Waiting for your impressions impatiently!

I second Mubarak's recommendation. Days and Nights in the Forest happens to be my favorite Satyajit Ray too. :)

November 10, 2006 10:57 pm  
Blogger Ouyang Feng said...

The films in the official selection aren't world premiere, only French premiere (apart some of the "Our year in films" selection that have already received threatrical French release). Those films have already been shown at some international film festival and most in their own country but aren't so much put into light, or are still international under-exposed. They are also usually debut or second films (but not all, I was quite surprised to see Shinji Aoyama's film in competition here for instance. F3C is proud to have discovered, shown and promoted some of the directors who are now much more internationally recognized...
I don't know about the other section, "Focus", but Saudi Arabian films aren't really shown, so I guess it's a novelty.

November 13, 2006 12:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home