Friday, August 25, 2006

Sogo Ishii films and other films

A couple Sogo Ishii films.
Considered as one of the most known Japanese outsider filmmakers, Sogo Ishii's films are based on the visuals work (colours, aesthetic cinematography, effects, camera movements) and soundtracks (with importance of music too). Actors, Masatoshi Nagase and Tadanobu Asano are often his collaborators.
Recently seen :
Gojoe (2000) : with Masatoshi Nagase, disappointing film.
Dead End Run (2003) : a 50 minute film containing 3 shorts (Last Song, Shadow, Fly), each one starting with a runaway character, a dead-end, a meeting and a death or eventual death. Visually and technically very well done, however the shorts don't bring anything new.

Already seen:
Electric Dragon 80.000 V (2001) - probably his most famous
Labyrinth of Dreams (1997) - and still my favourite.
Angel Dust (1994)

Other movies seen :
Young Thugs: Nostalgia by Takashi Miike (Japan, 1998) a prequel of Young Thugs: Innocent Blood which I haven't seen, about kids (great in the film) in Osaka in the 70s. We can easily feel the nostalgia (the childhood times) mixed with a cartoon/manga style (for the burlesque aspect of some of the scenes).
Postmen in the Mountains by Huo Jianqi (China, 1999) even though still rather typical mainland Chinese film, and a bit too sentimentalist, the father-son relationship is well played, and I like Liu Ye. Set in the mountain of Hunan, the film also offers some nice landscapes.
Sky Lovers by Jiang Qinmin (China, 2002) only for Liu Ye, despite the fact that his character is a bit annoying.
Be with Me by Eric Khoo (Singapore, 2005). The film intermingles 3 stories about love, but also loneliness, quite inequal, the more touching and interesting one is surely Theresa Chan's story. Some great, beautiful portraits.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Mubarak Ali said...

I've been meaning to dive into Takashi Miike's films lately - I've seen embarrasingly little by him. The 'Young Thugs' films are high on my agenda. And Labyrinth of Dreams is a beautiful dream of a film. I definitely need to see it again properly since I saw it very late one lazy night.

August 26, 2006 2:42 pm  
Blogger Ouyang Feng said...

I'm not so enthusiast with Miike's films. Some I liked because they're fun or bit strange, such as Gozu. The first one I saw was Audition, which I remember seeing at the theatre full up with people! But Izo, for instance, bored me, was really too long and I even gave up.
Yes, Labyrinth of Dream was my first film by Sogo Ishii, to me, it's his best one, but most people prefered Electric Dragon 80.000 V which has even become a cult film.

August 30, 2006 11:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home